How do you apply for a Kenyan passport? Here is the procedure of applying for the most important document in Kenya, especially if you are a foreigner.
The first step is to open eCitizen website, which is responsible for processing your passport.
Once you have opened the websites, you can apply for, renew or replace your passport and pay for it online. You’ll have to print out a form at the end. You must sign and date the form, add any documents or photographs that are needed, and return it for processing.
You’ll pay using mobile money, Credit, Debit Cards and online banking from local banks. It should take at least 10 working days to get your first passport once your form has been physically submitted at the Immigration offices. For all other application types, it should take atleast 5 working days. It can take longer if more information is needed or your application hasn’t been filled out correctly.
The best method to use is mobile money, which in this case is MPESA but if you are a foreigner, you can use a debit or credit cards.
A simple procedure is as follows.
Steps of Application
- Register on www.ecitizen.go.ke
- Go to immigration.ecitizen.go.ke and or Department of immigration services and click on the passport application form.
- Read the instructions carefully then fill the application form.
- Select the mode of payment and pay for the passport fees.
- Download and print the application form and three application receipts.
- Submit the application form in person to the Immigration offices.( Nyayo house, Mombasa & Kisumu.)
During the Submission you will need the following
- An eCitizen pre-filled passport application form and three receipts.
- Original birth certificate and photocopy.
- Original National ID Card & copy.
- Three Current passport size photos.
- Recommender’s ID Card copy.
- Consent letter for minors.
- Old passport for replacement.
- Parents National ID cards and copy.
|PASSPORT TYPE||Fee (Kshs)|
|32 Pages Ordinary “A” Series||Kshs. 4,550|
|48 pages Ordinary “B” Series||Kshs. 6,050|
|64 Pages Ordinary “C” Series||Kshs. 7,550|
|East African Passport||Kshs. 990|
|Diplomatic passport (48 page)||Kshs 7,550|
|Mutilated Passport||Kshs 10,050|
|Lost Passport||Kshs 12,050|
Before you apply for a passport, these are important things to note.
In Kenya, for you to move around in peace and process some documents, you must have a passport or an Identity Card.In case you don’t have an ID, which is the most basic document, you can acquire a passport.
Another important thing to note is that a Passport can help you send and withdraw money via MPESA.It can help you make bank transactions, move from one location to the other and also participate in elections.
If you are a Kenyan, it’s important to acquire a passport and keep it for future use.