Before you sleep make sure your phone is away from the blanket. There are numerous cases reported where phones charging while placed on bed explode and cause fire.
Here are two main problems the phone can cause:
- The charger or phone could malfunction, and start a fire, particularly if you bump them thrashing around in your sleep.
- Frequent phone calls can lead to lack of sleep.
Research shows that that the signals from the cell phones might cause a fire. In fact, the phone contains static electricity which when ignited causes fire.
Two cases reported few years ago stated:
Cradle Fund, Malaysia, CEO, Nazrin Hassan
He had kept 2 of his mobile on charge, on his bedside while he was sleeping.
One phone was Blackberry and the other was Huawei.
According to reports, two of his smartphones were kept on charge next to his bedside and one of them exploded. While some reports claim that the fire from the explosion caught the mattress and then spread to the room, leading to the CEO’s death, others say that broken parts of the phone hit Mr Hassan on the back of the head which led to a “trauma”. The police, however, have concluded that Mr Hassan died of smoke inhalation after being trapped in a bedroom fire.
He was 45 years old and he is survived by his wife and 3 children.
Nazrin Hassan’s brother in law, in a message on social media, said,
He had two phones, one Blackberry and a Huawei. We don’t know which one exploded. Who would have thought such an innocuous routine procedure is the reason three young kids will grow up without their father by their side.
The Cradle Fund also made an official statement on the death of their CEO,
The post-mortem report concluded the cause of death as being complication of blast injuries attributable to an exploding hand phone that was being charged next to him.
They further added,
Cradle has lost a passionate, innovative and humble leader and the startup community has lost an inspiring leader. His vision and love for innovation will always be at the core of what we do. Nazrin loved his work, but his greatest love was for his wife and children
Overcharging a phone can cause the hand held device to blast which could be life threatening.